The formation of mold in the air ducts of your air conditioning or heating system is a phenomenon in areas marked with high humidity levels. If left unnoticed, this condition can take a toll on the health of your family. It is better to use air duct cleaning equipment and not let situations aggravate to cause machine damage or heavy expenses incurred in the cleaning procedure.
Here we have elaborated on the implications of mold development in the air conditioning or room heater ducts.
Black Dust Coming Out
The appearance of black dust around the vents on switching on the air conditioner confirms black mold growing in the air ducts and poses a threat to human health due to its immense toxicity.
Sense a Bad Odour
The nauseating smell of mold formation is an advantage for easy detection and serves as a warning. If a musty odor has been pervading the room as soon as you switch on the room heater or the AC, then you rest assured about the mold formation in ample quantity. The air conditioning machine is in danger with the dispersion of numerous mold spores through the air ducts while the system is running. It is an indication of turning on the machine for a short span of time at regular intervals when it is not in use because the mold smell can be felt only when the system is operating.
Visible Health Problems
If turning the AC on makes someone around in the room suffer instead of feeling comfortable, it implies the certainty about mold growth in the machine’s air ducts. Those family members or visitors who have previously been diagnosed with respiratory problems are more prone to infections caused by inhaling the mold spores present in the cooling air generated from the ducts. Such patients would report quick reactions like headache, skin irritation, chest congestion, runny nose no sooner than the machine is turned on.
Sudden occurrence of breathing problems, sneezing, watery eyes, or coughing in the heated or air-conditioned room of your house is the indicator of mold formation at its primary stage. Those who were unknowingly allergic to mold spores can now become sure of it by experiencing other severe symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, or nausea. All these health troubles have one antidote, and that is, eradication of mold from the system’s air ducts.
Appearance of Mold
Mold formation on the sides of vents facing the air duct can be easily identified as white, black, or green colored accumulations. Contact ProAir Industries, Inc. to confirm the presence of mold growth inside the air ducts from time to time.
Which areas of the air conditioning or room heating require the checking of Mold Emergence?
Damp, enclosed spaces like the air ducts are susceptible to getting clogged by mold spores. To keep mold infestation at bay, you are required to check the drain pan and evaporator coils of the air conditioner from time to time. These areas are most exposed to high levels of condensation that produce adequate moisture for mold accumulation. Mold in the air ducts can endanger your life, with possibilities extending to serious neurological problems.
Learn about the various categories of molds and their adverse effects to understand the significance of air duct cleaning.
This mold type features white, greenish, or gray color and spreads wildly throughout the air ducts in no time, being nourished by the constant supply of air-borne moisture from the air conditioner.
The highly toxic black mold appearing as black dust after turning the AC on forms at great depths of the air ducts and often goes unnoticed at the initial stages when the damages can be prevented.
It is another toxic mold type that contaminates your house’s overall air duct system in no time, following its emission through a single air conditioner.
Untimely repairs or checking of water leakages in the AC results in the development of this mold type. Its growth isn’t restricted to the inner surface of air ducts but also reaches the wall that is also exposed to excessive condensation.
White, yellow, or brown colored, this mold’s appearance may not catch the attention of untrained eyes. It mostly develops around the leakages of air ducts.
It resembles specks of brown or green velvet on the air vent surfaces.
This mold type is visible on most air vents in the form of a powdery white accumulation.
Ways to Abstain Your Home from Supporting Mold Formation?
Mold spores disperse at a wild pace, and therefore, the leakage or moist areas of air ducts cannot be solely held responsible for its growth in the AC vents. Even the mildest development of mold on the adjacent wall or window pane can spread like a forest fire to take ultimate refuge in the duct system of the house’s central cooling.
The best precaution is to keep every nook and cranny of your house entirely free from this pathogen.
Conduct a Professional Test
Despite the detailed knowledge discussed here regarding the appearance of diverse mold categories, you may find it tough to distinguish mold from a mess of cobwebs and dust. Therefore, a test based on laboratory assessment is essential to ascertain the presence or absence of mold growth.
Identify the Air Duct Material
Air duct cleaning at required intervals is a matter of expense that can be kept within budget by choosing a machine with easy-to-maintain ductwork. The costs and cleaning procedures vary from one material to another, such as flex, fiberglass, or metal.
Hire an Approved Service Provider
The longevity of air duct cleaning also depends on whether or not the products used are authorized by ProAir Industries Inc. They offer periodic as well as frequent inspection of air ducts in the cooling or heating system. You can also avail moisture prevention systems from them.
Proper Furniture Arrangement
No furniture unit in the room must block the air conditioning or room heating system. Otherwise, the gap in between the AC and the furniture item would create an additional damp space only to boost mold emergence.
Get the Right Size
The moisture content within the room can be checked by installing an air conditioner or heating system of the size just perfect to meet the room’s cooling or warming requirements.
Here are the essentials of air duct cleaning for bringing mold formation to an end.
1. Yearly or periodic replacement of the heating system or the air conditioner filters.
2. Insulation of the air ducts minimizes the rate of condensation, and thus less moisture is generated within to counteract the rampant development of molds.
3. A little effort put in regular emptying of the water-drip pans causes mold to refrain from spreading further.
4. ProAir Industries Inc has the best quality sealants for air vent leakages to keep condensation levels in check. But it also recommends sealing only when there isn’t any other way out.
5. Accelerate the vaporization of water in the machine’s duct system with the help of an effective dehumidifier to reduce the humidity in an air-conditioned or heated room.
6. Even stringent air duct cleaning schedules can’t keep off the slightest trace of mold. Therefore, some handy tips must be followed for easy cleanup at regular intervals.
Home Remedies for Mold Formation in Your Room Cooling or Heating Machine
· The cleaning procedure differs from the raw material used in the making of the air ducts. A proportionate mixture of bleach and water in the ratio of 1:16 has proved effective on non-porous surfaces.
· Another commonly used home-made solution is made by dissolving half a tablespoon of baking soda and a tablespoonful of detergent into one cup of water.
· Use a light brush or wet rag for scrubbing the affected portions with the home-made or a commercially produced mold eliminating solution.
· The number of times to repeat the scrubbing action depends on the expanse of mold accumulation.
· In the process of making your home mold-free, make sure that you don’t infest the outdoor area by casually disposing of the collected dirt.
· As a responsible resident, you must use 6-layered trash bags for harmless mold disposal.
· You must adhere to certain precautionary measures for self-protection during the air duct cleaning sessions.
· Safety goggles and masks are must-haves for preventing the entry of chemicals through the eyes and the facial skin pores.
· You ought to wear industrial-grade coveralls and thick gloves for assured safety during these operations. ProAir Industries Inc provides you with all of these and at the best prices alongside their professional cleaning services.
You need to be tactful with maintaining the house’s air ductwork for the flawless performance of the air conditioning and enhancing the air quality indoors.